Friday, January 18, 2013

Friday Finds: Scrivener for Family History



I love Feedly.  I always find articles that are perfect for something I'm presently working on or interested in.  And I've been writing my family history book on Scrivener, and this is one of the things I found today from The Book Designer.


"How to Publish Your eBook from Word to Kindle in under Ten Minutes--  Ed Ditto, an experienced author and ghostwriter, has developed an extremely fast way of moving his books from Word, through Scrivener, and into the Amazon Kindle’s Mobi format for uploading to Kindle Direct Publishing. Here he steps you through the process so you can do it, too."

Besides Feedly, I also love Scrivener.  Writers everywhere are attesting to its honors.  The programmers who wrote Scrivener are up there with Evernote geeks.  We have such geniuses in our midst these days! 

Since I started using Scrivener last year, after learning about it from Lynn of Armchair Genealogy, I pretty much got the hang of it, especially thanks to Lynn and her YouTube presentation.  However, I haven't gone beyond the point that I'm currently at--still editing my manuscript and adding new stories when they surface, usually from the addition of a new cousin or aunt who has found me on the web.  

So when I looked at Book Designer's post today, I started seeing my finished project closer than too far at the end of the tunnel.  I hadn't even learned of Kindlegen.  

"Step ten: Finish up by installing Kindlegen

Time required: varies, but nonetheless quite speedy, and only has to be done once
If this is the first time you’ve used Scrivener, the final step in your compilation will be to install KindleGen, which is essentially an intermediary application that helps Scrivener produce .mobi-format e-books. KindleGen is a “set it and forget it” app..."
I can't wait to get to Step Ten!



Here is another good Friday Find, which I'd already found on an earlier Friday.  Author Sarah Corbett Morgan tells how she used Scrivener to write her memoir as a series of scenes.  I also use the Scrivener's corkboard for this.


If you're not familiar with Scrivener yet, check out the above links and see for yourself.






No comments:

Post a Comment