Friday, February 1, 2013

Challenge Writing!

Today, February 1st, starts the month-long Family History Writing Challenge and I've been taking a critical look at my outline, the one I started last February and have edited and changed more times than I can count.



I changed it, hopefully, one last time yesterday.  I'm mostly in the rewrite stage, which will take me most of the way through the month.  Then the last edit (I hope).

Then comes the publishing, which I'm doing through CreateSpace and Amazon.

I haven't been letting myself think too much about the publishing and having a book on Amazon, but now those thoughts are starting to creep in at all hours of the day and night.  I tell them to go away, because I still have much to do.

Over the past couple of years, I've had lots of ups and downs with this book.  On top of the world one day over discovering some fact or person that had stayed hidden from me for so long.  And then a few days later telling myself to just quit because the project was too big, it would take me the rest of my life.  And I'm sure not getting any younger.

What kept me going was telling myself to just keep writing.  Don't think.  Just keep writing.  Keep putting words on the page and don't worry if they make sense.

Then I found out about The Family History Blog-to-Book, and the writing got easier.  Just write a short story, I'd tell myself.  Just one story.

And here I am at the next challenge, almost not believing I've come this far.

I have two more books on the shelf ready to dive into when this one is published, bound, and sitting on the "Finished Shelf."    Life is good.  Today it is.

2 comments:

  1. With little or no fanfare, I sent a book to Createspace. It is not good nor polished but it was for my husband's new family. None of them are discriminating readers but it did tell their story as we searched for them. I am a much better writer than what I published but sometimes it is necessary to take the plunge for whatever reason. I will be waiting for your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ann. I'm ready for this book to be done, and I'm sure I'll say the same thing you've said, it's not polished, but I've made the promise to write it, and I will. I want to get on with life,LOL! Thanks for the inspiration. b.

    ReplyDelete